Monday, September 14, 2009

A Busy Weekend...

It's been years since I have taken advantage of my company's annual outing to Green Lake, WI. When Michael was working out of state for three years, I rarely saw him except, perhaps, on the weekends. He usually came home the weekend of the Green Lake outing.This year, I decided to go. It felt wonderful to get away, even for just two days. The drive up was lovely - - the weather was beautiful and I had some good company with my friend, Diane, who accompanied me. We left on Thursday, 9/10 and got up there late afternoon. We stayed at Doug's favorite house (that's CPS' President), "Many Moons," which is on Green Lake along with his two other houses which are just a stones throw away. The cabin was beautiful and tranquil and we had it all to ourselves for the day (our roomies were coming up the following afternoon).
We relaxed, drove through Amish country looking for quilt shops and had some great food & drinks. When we finally made it out to an Amish farm famous for their furniture & quilts, we were bummed out that the farm was empty - - no one was home! We did make it to the Amish bakery for some incredible cinnamon bread (brought a few loaves home).

Both Diane and I had to leave early Saturday morning to make it home for other commitments. In fact, I had just enough time to jump in the shower and get back into the car and drive out to Michael's cousin's house for a HUGE welcome home party for Fred & Deb's son, Jonathan, who just completed his service with the Marines. What a gathering! I swear, there were hundreds of people there! It was great! Jonathan received a hero's welcome from the city of Bartlett with a parade, police escort and everyone waving the old red, white & blue! How patriotic!

It was really wonderful to connect with so many family members that we rarely get to see (except for these types of events). It was also a chance to share our good news with everyone. They all seemed so happy and supportive. I think everyone is looking forward to meeting our son!

No comments: