Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hey now...a suprise e-mail!

I received a surpising e-mail message yesterday at the end of another L-O-N-G day at the office. My dear Betty Betz from FTIA sent me a message inquiring if Michael and I would consider a little boy that just turned 2 years old. His only special need is crossed eyes. I immediately asked for more info and by the time I got to the office this morning, she graciously obliged by providing us with his file & photos! I sent everything to Michael and we reviewed the information together.

This little boy is quite adorable and we were thrilled to see that he is in foster care!!! In addition to that, his medical and growth reports look very good! I called our Doctor to have him review the paperwork and was so disappointed to learn that he is on vacation until Monday!!! Arrrrrgh! We won't be able to do anything until he reviews the file.

Luckily, Betty said that she would like an answer within a week (and we're not obligated to turn everything around in 48 hours the way you usually do when selecting a child from the Waiting Child list - - that can be rather stressful)!

Betty told me that they received his file as a "replacement" referral for another family that had lost their first referral. The other family turned him down because they wanted an older child! FTIA requested to keep his file because they knew they could place him. And maybe WE'LL be the lucky parents! When I spoke to Betty about him she said that he was classified as healthy!

Michael is all for moving forward! He is familiar with this child's condition because he had it when he was young and so did his son, Luke. We both feel that it is easily corrected.

Betty said that if we submitted our paperwork for this child, we may travel within 5 months or so (October-ish?). How wonderful to have this child home for the holidays!

This will be a L-O-N-G weekend for sure because we can't do anything until we hear back from our physician (who is also Chinese, by the way, and speaks Mandarin)! Luckily we'll be very busy so we won't have too much time to dwell. Michael's Mom & Dad will be traveling on vacation to Florida to visit Mary & Ashley and while they're away, we'll be painting their house (okay...not the WHOLE house!!). We hope they'll be delighted with the results - - it's going to be their Mother's & Father's Day gifts.

Hmmmm...I think I'd better start brushing up on my Mandarin!

No comments: