We made it to Xi'an on Sunday, 12/6 and were immediately whisked off to the Grand Noble Xi'an Hotel where we promptly checked our luggage. We then had to get to the bank immediately (on a Sunday!) before they closed to exchange the bulk of our money. Thankfully, it was right next to the hotel. Not a fun experience - - probably the worst I've ever experienced in any country! There are 9 million people in Xi'an and we were warned by our new guide, Annie, that there are lots of pickpockets! I carried my backpack like a baby and was nervous until I walked into the hotel again! There were guys IN the bank trying to hawk us - - saying they would give us a better exchange rate (yeah, right - - and counterfeit money, too). I couldn't believe the guard didn't kick them out! Our guide told us they had no reason to. I said, "How about solicitation?!" The banks are set up like deli counters, too. Everyone around you knows your business. It was a tad uncomfortable. Thankfully, we made it out with no issues (whew!).
After that, we were taken to the Civil Affairs Bureau to meet Jackson!!! (YES!!) We were there only minutes before he arrived with his nannies, the orphanage director and another boy that was being adopted from his orphanage.
Anyway...Jackson was so stinkin' cute I couldn't stand it! What a sweetheart. Such a handsome boy. His nannies prepared him to meet us but you could tell that he was so scared (poor thing). They coached him to say hello to his new Mama and Baba, but then he lost it. He was trying so hard to be brave, but he quietly whimpered and shed only a few years. We were all talking with him and trying to calm him down. The other boy was doing the same thing. (There were also some folks there adopting two babies. I believe they were from Sweden.)
I brought out our photo album and showed him the photos (so glad I brought that - - he did not come with the one I sent him). The orphanage director was so sweet - - she gave us a photo album filled with photos that she made of his life at the orphanage so now we have a LOT more of him (so excited about that)!! Jax wasn't wanting to make eye contact with us initially. Poor little guy just stood there like he was in disbelief as he cried quietly - - probably wondering what the heck was happening to his life!
I brought out the backpack we bought for him with Curious George sticking out. I tried to coax him with some snacks that we brought. The animal crackers did nothing for him. Eventually, we got around to the peanut butter crackers and that seemed to get him to open up a bit. He also liked the fruit snacks I packed and I got him to offer me one. Once we did that, he made much more eye contact with me and then Michael and we were on our way. We took some photos with the orphanage staff, too. They also took some of us. We actually got a small smile out of Jackson when I brought out some raisins from his backpack. It was so cute! The nannies made a big deal, too, so it must be a snack they have often. He took one out and then promptly closed the box and packed it away in his backpack. At that point, he decided it was time for us to go!
After that, we walked forever through an endless sea of people who, of course, stared at us wondering what we were doing with this beautiful Asian boy! As per the orphanage director's advice, we headed to a market (Wal-Mart grocery store) to get a few items for him. We had to buy some fruit and powdered milk because he likes warm milk. In the winter, they never serve the children anything cold to drink, so they drink warm milk and warm water. Since we have no microwave in our room and just a tea pot, we went for the powdered milk, which was fine (he was used to formula this way, too).
Our guide brought us back to fill out several pieces of paperwork for the next day so that we could get a jump start on things. Michael played a little with Jax until the balloons broke and then I suggested getting him into the bath! As we unlayered him, we discovered that he was wearing underwear (yeah!), pajamas, sweatpants AND his regular heavy pants and shirt! I can't believe the kid could walk! We were told that he was used to showers, but we got him into the bath easily and he looked forward to playing with the bubbles and a bath toy I brought. Michael scrubbed him down while I filled out paperwork.
He was a tired boy. We pushed the double beds together (which, again, were quite hard) and he slept in the middle with his Curious George. So cute. I was listening to him and Michael snore all night because I was filled with so many emotions, I just couldn't sleep. Jax was every bit the acrobat in bed, too. Michael couldn't believe that this little person was all over the place and often ended up sleeping horizontally!
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this kid?! He's so sweet and polite and helpful. He loved it when I gave him the job of pushing the mini basket around the Wal-Mart store - - he felt so important as we shopped and you should have seen him navigating through the multitudes of people!
The following day we were picked up at 8:45am and off we went back to the Civil Affairs Bureau to make things legal. SO exciting! The amazing thing is the difference in Jackson's demeanor. He was happily smiling! He had the opportunity to see his orphanage director again which was so nice. She brought a backpack that Jax used at the orphanage along with his lesson books. She also brought the photo book that we sent him and it had clearly been used...A LOT! She told us that "Xin Xin" had been one of their very favorites and that they would really like to keep the photo book. She also requested that we send occasional updates and photos because they will miss him so much, but they knew he would enjoy his new life in America. I couldn't say no. It was an honor and we were so grateful for the great care they had given him. It was clear that they loved him.
Less than 24 hours after our first meeting, we returned to the Civil Affairs Office and our boy is all smiles! He had the chance to see one of his best buds from the same orphanage, too!
The transition went really well. We were just delighted. Every time that child smiled, it lit up my heart. He is everything I prayed for!! (Thank you, God!!)
Oh...almost forgot. I had our guide explain to him that he would have a new American name along with his Chinese name and he seemed to like it! He repeated it a couple of times and smiled. So, so happy!! Yep - - I'm in love!












3 comments:
Love, love, love the pictures! I've been waiting for these! Catherine loved seeing the pictures, too, and can't wait to play with Jax this summer!
~Kristen and Catherine
Fantastic to finally see the family togeather! Jax is soooo cute!Hope everything still going well! A big hug from the Hope Haven section in Sweden :-) Tina, Calle and Teo
Aw - this post brought tears to my eyes. These sweet older kids are so much more aware of the big change, yet somehow feel how much we already love them just from their picture. So glad he had the album to get to "know" you too.
A day never to be forgotten!
Post a Comment